What if your first out engine had all the capabilities of a platform? The Sutphen SP70 Aerial Platform makes that a reality. The SP 70 combines the best of our mid-mounted, Huck bolted, aluminum aerial construction, with the custom craftsmanship of our pumper line to give you one of the most versatile Aerial Products on the market.
With a short wheelbase and short overall length, the truck is easy to maneuver through tight streets and subdivisions. The compartments are large, full depth, and offer as much storage as a rescue pumper. The SP 70 will carry up to 500 gallons of water, and a full NFPA Quint compliment of ladders. All of these features combined with the signature Sutphen mid-mount aerial design and boom strength result in an Aerial Platform that truly drives and operates like a pumper.
There’s Nothing Like A Sutphen, and we’re sure you won’t find anything like our SP 70 Aerial Platform. Explore our features for more details.
- Sutphen Signature Mid-Mount Design: Not only did we invent it, but we’ve perfected it. The Mid-Mount design has been the Sutphen signature design for over 50 years, and while others have tried to copy it, no one can match the quality and dependability of a Sutphen.
- Lower Center of Gravity: The Sutphen Mid-Mount design and lower overall weight naturally contribute to a lower center of gravity. An apparatus with a lower center of gravity is a safer, more stable, and better handling piece of equipment.
- Ease of Maintenance and Serviceability: Not having the platform rest over the cab means not having to raise the aerial in order to tilt the cab for access to the engine or other vital chassis components. Daily checks and service can be done inside the station or service center.
- Lighter Overall Weight: Sutphen Aerial Apparatus typically have an in service weight 10-20 Tons less than our competition. Don’t be mistaken though, lighter weight doesn’t mean lighter duty. What lighter weight does mean is better acceleration, better breaking with shorter stopping distance, less wear and tear on your brakes, and braking components which reduces maintenance costs.
- The Strongest Aerial Device in the Industry: Four sides are always better than three, and the Four-Sided Box Boom design of the Sutphen Aerial Device makes it the strongest in the industry. Constructed using #6061-T6 aluminum alloy and fastened with aircraft grade HuckBolt technology. The aerial has a safety factor of 3:1, unmatched in the industry. The HuckBolt system eliminates the need for welds, which weakens the material making it susceptible to cracking.
- Thinking Inside the Box: We’ve built the box, now let’s put something in it. Doesn’t it make sense to keep all of the important equipment protected inside? The waterway, electric cables, and breathing air hoses are all housed inside the Box Boom. There they stay protected with less chance of being damaged, which reduces the chance of costly repairs, and apparatus down time. This also means that the Sutphen Aerial device can be placed right up against a roof cornice or building with no risk of damaging the waterway.
- Lower Aerial Maintenance: The aluminum aerial device never needs painted, and won’t rust. Aerial slide blocks are constructed from Ultra High Molecular Weight Plastic that requires little to no maintenance.
- Climbing to New Heights: If you are in a situation where you need to climb up or down the climbing ladder, rest assured that your path will be a safe one. The Sutphen climbing ladder has a clear foot path that is free from “K” bracing and other obstructions.
- Fast and Easy Set Up: From the time you arrive on scene, the Sutphen Mid-Mount single-axle Aerial can be set up and in the air in 30 seconds or less. The fastest and most efficient set up time in the industry. All necessary control stations, eg: Cab, Jacks, Pump, and Turntable, are located within 6’ of each other.
- Heavy Duty Body: The Sutphen body is constructed from corrosion resistant #304 Stainless Steel. Body compartments are bolted together for strength and ease of repair. The compartments are tall and deep providing ample storage space for rescue tools and other bulky equipment, as well as tool mounting boards, shelves, trays, etc.
- Heavy Duty Cab Interior: Cab interiors are well appointed and very durable. Stainless steel door panels are standard, and heavy duty Durawear material covers the headliner and back wall. Bostrom Secure-All ABTS SCBA Durawear covered seats are standard.
- Superior Driving Visibility: With no platform hanging over the top of the cab, your visibility is much greater. With the Mid-Mount design, there is nothing to block your view of busy intersections, street corner signs, or traffic lights.
- Bucket Features:
- Quick access – easy entry and exit from ground level while donning gear or carrying heavy equipment.
- Sutphen patented yoke allows more useful placement of two monitors on the outside of the bucket, not in the front which obstructs rescue work, giving you more flexibility.
- Standard Elkhart lightweight monitors.
- Hand line discharges are placed on each side of the waterway: Allows for quick access to hand lines during roof recovery and suppression.
- Yoke attachment point is above center of gravity to maximize stability and safety.
- Bucket is constructed of heat reflecting, high tech aluminum alloy for protection against flash fires and heat exposure.
- Monarch 56”, 62”, 73” cab options with flat, 10” half, 15” half raised roof options
- Front Axle and Suspension up to 25,500 lbs.
- Rear Axle and Suspension 31,000 lbs.
- 12” bumper standard, optional 6”, 18”, 24”, or 30” extension options. Optional steel or steel channel, painted bumper
- Engine Options: Cummins ISL 9 400 or 450HP, Cummins ISX 12L 425, 450, or 500HP, or Cummins ISX 15L 600HP.
- Transmission: Allison Gen 5 EVS 3000 or EVS 4000 (dependent on engine)
- Point-to-Point or Multiplex wiring systems
- Diamond Plate Cab Roof (standard 36” x 59”)
- Standard 215” Wheelbase (with 56” cab)
- Hale or Waterous, 1500 to 2000 gpm
- Standard Pump Equipment: (2) 6” main suction, (2) 2.5” discharges left, (1) 2.5” discharge right, (2) 5” crosslay, (1) 3” tank to pump, and (1) 1.5” tank fill
- Black vinyl, brushed, or mirrored finish stainless pump panel
- Up to 500 gallon poly water tanks
- #304 Stainless Steel bolted body, Huck bolted to the chassis frame
- Four different body configuration options, with transverse rear compartment with two of the options
- Up to 210 ft. of useable compartment space
- Roll up doors or hinged doors offered in painted or non-painted satin finish
- Alco-Lite or Duo-Safety ladders, pumper, quint or aerial compliant
- (2) 750 gpm monitors/nozzles, one each side of the platform
- 4500 psi breathing air to the platform
- 120 volt outlet in the platform
- EMS/storage cabinet options in the cab
- Hose storage, front suction, front discharge options in the bumper
- Multiple pump inlet, discharge, and crosslay options
- Foam system options
- Generator options up to 30 kw
- Numerous electrical and scene lighting options